Pages

Sep 5, 2011

Don’t run away from home…

Don’t run away from home in the middle of a storm.
-- Cynthia Copeland Lewis, “Really Important Stuff My Kids Have Taught Me”

The rain has been pounding. Lightening has lit up the sky and the thunder has been roaring. The sky is dark and the clouds are heavy. There’s not a trace of sunshine. The storm seems to be endless.

I am seeking a reprieve from the storm. I want it to go away. I’m exhausted from the repetitiveness of the rain and thunder, worn out from the darkness, done in by the clouds. But then, I’m not even sure I’d recognize the sunshine if it showed up.

I’d be skeptical that it’d stay around.

I’m not normally a pessimist but this storm has dampened my sanguinity and buoyancy. With every raindrop, I find myself wallowing deeper into dismay and sullenness. Nothing stops the rain.

My red floral rain boots don’t even help me wade through the flood anymore.

I’ve tried leaving home in the storm but it followed me. I’ve tried dancing in the storm but that felt forged and contrived; I can’t fool myself. I’ve tried pleading with the storm to go away but it just rains harder.

I’ve prayed for the storm to end, but it just keeps raining.

I guess I just gotta wait for the storm to pass. I’ll keep my eyes out for the rainbow. I’ll anticipate the sunshine. I know those rays will be worth the wait.

I’m in the middle of the storm and I have nowhere else to go.

No comments: